Sunday, November 1, 2009

A little hill work...

never hurt anyone.  I started off on a fairly regular loop to the coast.  The usual route...until I got to thinkin' as I approached the polo fields on the El Camino Real.  The typical Sunday soccer crowd was making my travels a little cramped on that narrow stretch of road.  The old 2-lane bridge that crosses the San Dieguito River was particularly busy.  I decided to get off the main drag at the fields & also get in a little hill work on my way home.  With just a couple of days to go before I head North to Long Beach, I am trying to keep myself in reasonably good condition.  I headed east on the polo pony warm-up track(also part of the San Dieguito River trail system known as Coast to Crest) & headed home on Via De La Valle, Calzada Del Bosque, El Apajo & up the San Dieguito Road into Santa Luz.  I capped it off with the Carmel Valley Road to Black Mountain.  All of this translates into a pretty strenuous grade...several miles of UP!  By the time I finished my little jaunt I knew two things for certain - these hills still get my full attention but I sure get up them a lot easier than I did a few weeks ago.  21.9 miles, 10.3 mph average, max speed of 27.7 mph(my one downhill) & some low gear panting.  I am ready to begin my northward journey!


DWB & I often comment on how your powers of observation improve when you're either hiking or biking.  You simply see things that would otherwise be missed.  Today was no exception.  As dozens of cars whizzed by me, I crossed the San Dieguito River near the vegetable stand on Calzada Del Bosque.  I came to a stop & admired one gorgeous Snowy Egret who was just below me on the river bank.  One of the pleasures of cruisin' in the slow lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment