Thursday, October 8, 2009

A crazy thought...

occured to me while biking around the countryside today.  More about that later...

The morning started normally enough as I checked my e-mail in the office.  I noticed that all my bird friends were suddenly quiet.  They had been feeding happily and, as usual, noisily just outside the window.  Whenever they have all just disappeared before it usually meant a visit from a raptor who has discovered our pampered little morsels.  This was no exception.  Our coopers hawk had a house sparrow under its talons on the side fence...breakfast had been served.  We see this hawk with some regularity but have only witnessed two successful hunts.  He is a handsome young bird of prey.  His yellow eyes are darkening a bit now & they will be a brilliant red when he is fully mature.



Today's ride took me through Santa Luz where I saw a red-tailed hawk and kite(hovering over something of interest).  From there to the village of Rancho Santa Fe & then to Solana Beach(Fletcher's Cove for a pit stop).  South on the 101 through Del Mar and then home along the 56 bike path.  Gorgeous day for riding as it was a sunny yet cool day.  I woefully underestimated the grade from Rancho Santa Fe to the Lomas Santa Fe Country Club.  Once at the club, I knew it would be an easy downhill run to the coast.  Getting there was a lot tougher than I anticipated & my legs felt it.

A pleasant ride nonetheless - 2 hours 56 minutes, 29.7 miles, 10.1 mph average & a top speed of 29 mph.


The crazy thought...biking up the coast to Long Beach to spend an evening with Brett & Tiranan.  It would be a great trip & a great test of my stamina.  I would spend the night with them - duh! - and then cruise home.  This, of course, assumes I survive.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment